Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Meaningful Learning

A grading rubric is a tool used to let the student know what is expected from them on a certain assignment or in class in general.  For me as a student, I think that they are very useful.  During my assignment, I can just check as I go to see if I am on the right track.  For a teacher, it is easier because you know what to look for while grading.  For me as a math teacher, it will be used very seldom.  I could use it on projects and work in those kinds of things.  Although I wouldn't use it very much, an english or speech teacher would use it very often for papers and journal entries.
I used clickers in my first semester in college.  I used a clicker in my physics class.  It was my teachers first time to use a clicker.  Our instructor included questions included in his PowerPoint that we would answer using our clickers.  We never used it for a quiz; he just used it as a test to see if we were getting it.  We did exam reviews the night before the exam and he would print out the questions that were missed the most.  I believe it really helped us a lot because it gave us immediate feedback of things that we needed to study more.  The clicker system is not free but I believe it would be very useful in a high school or college setting.  I will definitely find ways to use a clicker and other types of new technology in my classroom.  Technology is only going to help future teachers like myself in instructing my classroom.
Inspiration and Kidspiration are two programs that help students with their thinking skills.  It helps them to learn more effectively.  Kidspiration is intended for the lower grade levels from kindergarten to intermediate school.  Inspiration is directed more to the middle and high school students.  It is directed toward the language arts and english area.  Therefore, I wouldn't use it much in my class but I would definitely recommend it to my fellow colleagues.

Resources:

Inspiration Software, Inc. (2010). Inspiration Software. Retrieved November 24, 2010 fromhttp://www.inspiration.com/Inspiration

Jonassen, D. ., Howard, J., Marra, R., Crismond, D.  (2008). Meaningful learning with technology (pp. 226). Upper Saddle, New Jersey: Pearson.

Qwizdom Inc. (2010). Quizdom. Retrieved November 24, 2010 fromhttp://www.qwizdom.com/?gclid=CNLygeH3mpcCFQZqswodWV6D-g

6 comments:

  1. Bradley,

    I also like the rubric idea. I think that they are a great guide to refer to while in the process of completing an assignment.


    Maria Mendez

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of rubrics, but I can see where they might be harder to use in a math class. I enjoyed your post about the clickers too. I haven't heard anyone talk about them who had actually used them. I have never gotten the chance. I had not even heard about them until this class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im alot more excited about clickers now, I assumed that they would help but I didnt know they could do all of that, and I agree with you on the inspiration stuff, i wouldnt be able to use them much at all for physical education.
    -Richard Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like the online rubrics. It is nice to be able to go look at it and determine whether I am doing all of the correct things or not. I agree that it would not really be an effective tool for Math teachers unless you are using it for a project, as you said. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a future English teacher I am certainly looking forward to using rubrics, but I can see how they would not be quite as readily useful for a math class. The clickers, however, seem like a very natural fit for a math class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    While Inspiration and Kidspiration are great writing tools, they are very beneficial in teaching math and science as well.

    Check out our Inspired Sites and Inspired Calendar on our blog at www.inspiration.com/blog to view how educators have used our software in the past to teach these subjects.

    If you'd like more specific examples, please feel free to email me at connect(at)inspiration.com or find me on our blog, Facebook or Twitter.

    Thanks for your feedback!

    Sarah Cargill, Inspiration Software
    inspiration.com/blog
    facebook.com/InspirationSoftware
    twitter.com/InspirationSW

    ReplyDelete