Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Copyright, Online Safety & Cyberbullying

                In my opinion, the most important reason for copyrighting is that it gives the creator the right to charge for their idea.  People try to tweak ideas and go off of someone else’s thoughts to make money and since the creator has a copyright, he can sue.  Another important thing is that it just gives credit to the creator.  It is like publishing a proof for a mathematician; if the proof is never published, someone else can take their idea and get credit for it.  I think I will have my students do an assignment on copyrighting laws before I have them do an assignment.  I think that it would be very informational for them because all these years that I’ve been citing sources, I never knew how important it actually is.  I always thought it was just busy work.  If I were to create an invention or write a song, I would like to be recognized for it, I think every person feels that way.  That’s another reason why it’s important to follow copyright rules.  It’s like the Golden Rule, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
Online safety is an effective tool that can be used to seal an identity and keep sexual predators or stalkers away.  A student should never reveal his/her real name, home or school address, or any other personal information online.  Students should use their cyber names when doing online activities.  However, online safety and cyberbullying are not the same. Cyberbullying occurs when you are getting unwanted attention from any person online.  This could come from not using the proper online safety or you could possibly be doing everything right and still be a victim of cyberbullying.  It is very common on sites such as Facebook and MySpace.  If someone is harassing you online, either block that person or you can even go as far as creating a new account under a new name.  I believe that in order to fix cyberbullying, we have to get the information out to families.  Some parents don’t know what goes on their kid’s webpage.  I think we should have workshops for parents that can help them monitor their kid’s usage online.  Knowledge is power in this situation and all it takes is a little bit of effort from the parent. 
I learned so much about copyrighting this week.  I never knew that it was such a serious issue.  I’ve never really known why it was so important to have copyright laws before this week’s lesson. At SFA, if we were caught downloading music using campus internet access, we were told that we could go to prison.  I learned very quickly how important copyrighting was after that.  I made a 75% on the quiz over copyrighting so I at least passed.  I plan on looking more into this because some of the rules were very interesting to me.  I thought it was very cool that they have an Anti-Bullying Alliance board.  I did not know how much of a problem cyber bullying is and it is scary that my future kids will have to be so careful about what they do on the internet.  Even us as adults should be more careful about what we put out there on the World Wide Web.   

References:

Carnell, Liz. New advisor on Anti-Bullying Alliance board. Accessed September 28, 2010. http://www.bullying.co.uk/

Copyright Office. About Copyright. Accessed September 28, 2010.
Rushing, Amani. NetSmartz Workshop. Accessed September 28, 2010.

6 comments:

  1. I think it's a good idea to have them do a copyright activity first before they do a project. I think it would be a good idea to some how make an example of stealing someones work and see how they feel. Many students really don't know what they are doing when they are posting things on their social network pages. You should also find a way to teach them about saftey because most people don't think about it till they are told. Also these students think everyone needs to know everything about them and people could be looking at their page that could be trouble. There are so many things about the internet that students need to be aware of saftey, bullying, copyrights, where to find good information. The parents should be informed too, to help with online saftey.

    Jessica Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard Smith-I didnt realize how serious cyberbullying was either but apparently it is a huge issue and should be more looked into than most of us wwould think. I agree with everything else, i had the same comments and opinions about copyright and cyberbullying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know that copyright laws were such a big deal either. It's scary to me that it is so easy to break laws concerning copyright and fair use. I know someone that was being stalked because they were putting information on chat sites about when they were home alone. A lot of online safety is common sense, although, many times it can't be avoided.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it would be a good idea to have students do an activity on copyrights. I really liked the interactive website, I think it was the Copyright Bay site. I also agree that parents need to be more involved to help prevent cyberbullying and teach online safety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I 100% agree with you on your reasoning for why you think copyrighting is important to you. As a writer, I see a lot of people that would try and use someone elses lyrics and call them their own and i believed they should be handled accordingly for that

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bradley, I really like your idea about making your students actually do a copyright laws assignment before actually giving them a research paper or some other work to complete. Making the kids do this will make them realize why you should not copy someone's work and the consequences that can occur for copying someone's work. Again, I think that this is a great idea and in my opinion every teacher should make sure their kids know about the copyright laws before they start an assignment that deals with it.

    ReplyDelete